Blog

Culture, Madness and Medicalisation: A History of Madness Before Psychiatry

In our third year Culture, ‘Madness’ and Medicalisation module, students receive a critical introduction to today’s dominant psychological/clinical practices such as psychoanalysis, bio-psychiatry, psychotherapy, counselling and clinical psychology and the importance of anthropology in illuminating how psychological/clinical practices are dramatically shaping contemporary subjectivities and wider socio/cultural life. This year, our featured essay from the module is Read More…

Cultural Politics on Tour – Across Northern Ireland

As part of our second year Cultural Politics on Tour module, students complete an expense-paid trip to Northern Ireland in order to apply the theories of cultural production, consumption, domination and resistance they learn to the ‘real-world’, culminating in a reflection piece. This week, our featured essay is by K. Gratia Mittelman. Gratia’s bio: K. Gratia Mittelman is a Read More…

Hands, shadows and puppets: transcending puppetry

By Yu-Chun Chen Yu-Chun Chen is currently a PhD candidate in social anthropology in the Department of Life Sciences at the University of Roehampton. Her thesis ‘Become and becoming a dancer: an ethnography of the Taipei Dance Circle’ focuses on the liminality across bodies, space and time in this dance troupe which lost their leader. Puppets, the inanimate things off Read More…

HIV/AIDS and Global Health: Hijras and HIV

Our third year HIV/AIDS and Global Health module, which explores broader anthropological questions around HIV/AIDS, illness and healing, sexual and reproductive relationships, and global health. As part of the module students are required to design a HIV awareness poster or research proposal. This week, we are featuring a poster assignment by Jana-Sharmila Sen on HIV among the Read More…

Humans and Other Primates: Cultural Complexity in Mountain Gorillas and Bornean Orangutans

In our second year Humans and Other Primates  module, students are provided with a foundation in evolutionary anthropology through an understanding of primate biology and evolution. This week, we are featuring our second essay on this topic, by Hovnan Gulbenkian Eayrs. Hovnan’s bio: I’m a second year student from Oxford. I discovered my interest in anthropology after Read More…

The MRes in Primate Biology, Behaviour and Conservation @ Roehampton – why I chose it, what I studied, and where it has taken me

By Raphaela Heesen There are lots of different masters’ courses in the field of evolutionary anthropology; in this piece I wanted to explain how I came to join the MRes Primate Biology, Behavior and Conservation at Roehampton, and what I feel the course has given me. Having received a Bachelor of Science from the Rheinische Read More…