Giovanna Capponi

Research interests: Cultural Ecology; Human-Animal Studies; Environmental Anthropology; Anthropology of Ritual; Anthropology of Food

Biography:  In 2009 I completed my BA in Anthropological Sciences at the University of Bologna. In 2011 I attained a MA degree in Migration and Diaspora Studies at SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London), focusing especially on postcolonial studies, political anthropology, West African studies, Anthropology of Space and Architecture and Anthropology of Food. I graduated with a dissertation titled “Mirror Mirror on the Wall: reflections on the representation of Mami Wata in West African collective memory”. In 2013 I obtained a MA degree in Cultural Anthropology and Ethnology at the University of Bologna, with a dissertation titled “The Gifts of the City: an ethnography of networks, politics and redistribution amongst squatters in London”. My fieldwork explored the cultural practices of some groups of squatters in London, especially focusing on food recycling and networks of informal economy amongst radical political movements.

As a PhD student at the University of Roehampton, I worked as part of the multi-disciplinary AHRC-funded research project “Cultural and Scientific Perceptions of Human-Chicken Interaction”. I conducted intensive multi-sited fieldwork looking at animal sacrifice and ritual offerings in Afro-Brazilian Candomblé, collecting ethnographic material both in Brazil and in Italy (a case of transnationalisation of the Afro-Brazilian religions). My thesis is titled: “A Dialogue with Nature: a Study of Human-Environment Relations and Sacrificial Offerings in Candomblé Religion”.

Publications

“Skipping”, in A. Ledeneva (ed.) The Global Encyclopedia of Informality vol. 2. UCL Press, London, p. 41-44.

“Chaos in the Street, Order in the Kitchen”: pratiche gastro-politiche di consumo e ridistrubuzione tra gli squatters di Londra” in Z. A. Franceschi and V. Peveri (eds.) Pop Food, Odoya Editore, Bologna.