Kisiaya Saruni Mwasuni

Research Interests: Maritime oral traditions, Intangible cultural heritage, indigenous knowledge, traditional medicine, public health, cultural heritage tourism

Biography: I was born in Ngorongoro, northern Tanzania and joined the college life at the University of Dar es Salaam from 2011 to 2017 where I undertook a bachelor degree in Sociology and a master degree in Social anthropology. I specialized in indigenous culture and resource governance and produced a thesis titled: “The role of indigenous traditional knowledge on rangeland management among pastoral communities in Northern Tanzania”. When I finished my undergraduate in 2014, I worked with a local NGO called Development Impact (DI) as policy research expert on climate change mitigation and adaptation. From 2016 to 2018, I conducted various consultancy researches with Canadian International Resource and Development Institute (CIRDI) on a project titled “Natural Gas and Community Development in East Africa”; International Labor Organization on a project titled “Global value chain in the cut-flower industry in Tanzania”, UNESCO’s Malala project on girls education in the Maasai communities in Tanzania; Witwatersrand Institute for Social and economic research’s project on Epidemiology of artisanal miners in Bulyangulu and Geita gold mines. Currently, I work as Assistant Lecturer in Social Anthropology at the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

I am undertaking a PhD in Social Anthropology funded by Roehampton University as part of the Global Challenges Research Fund/Arts and Humanities Research Council project (Rising from the Depths). I will be exploring artisanal fisheries’ maritime oral tradition and heritage practices in Bagamoyo, coastal Tanzania. Specifically,I intend to look at how Swahili people express ‘the ocean’ through songs, poems, proverbs, folklore, indigenous maritime cosmologies, andrituals. I am being supervised by Dr. Nadine Beckmann and Prof. Garry Marvin.