Supporting community cohesion through ICT: the ‘epartners’ programme in Northern Ireland Review

Summery 

The importance of computers in supporting community cohesion allowing children to develop their own personal social skills, communication and technological skills as well as identify the areas of which teachers struggle and how this can affect the teaching of computing.

Link: Click HERE

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Computing or ICT skills that are developed in a social context can in any means develop social cohesion within any environment and through reflection on this article it has become clear that community cohesion was more so an after effect of the other skills developed during the study. While Computing focuses on the behavioural approach to learning this article has shown that children are capable of being independent learners. In my opinion the most important aspect drawn from this article were, that these children developed the ability to work together in a collaborative project with people they did not know and may not have liked. As a result of this children are being prepared for the work place environment learning key skills needed in their adult life. The technology was able to provide them with these experiences of which they may not have gained through working on a project with their friend.

With the aid of virtual learning Environments such as Fronter, like the children in this article they are experiencing new platforms helps shape the nature of contact, this has shown to be very cross curricular and while children may be working on a directed task they are free to use a platform to express their ideas with others, gain feedback and encounter people in a form they may not of have experience with before.

From first-hand experience I can relate to the importance of using these socially constructed and exciting tasks. While in year 6 our teacher set up a conference call with a Japanese class where in turn we taught each other how to count to 10 in each language. An experience that has always stuck with me and a skill in which I have never forgotten how to do.  The importance of this shows that socially constructed learning allows children to learn in a different way and sometimes more effectively. Having been given this experience It proved that while these people were unknown and couldn’t speak the same language our ability to work together to complete a new form of learning was not hindered by our own opinions of that said person, or language barriers, (something which computing has clearly started to promote.)

However this article also mentions the disadvantages of these learning platforms regarding their ability to use them. These teachers were unable to use it to the full potential through fear of messing up the systems. This is something that a lot of schools are  guilty of doing, and sticking to similar software’s a result, children become bored easily of the same things and if teachers are unable to venture out or use tools to their full potential there is a risk of limiting these children’s ability in Computing too.  As a result I would personally suggest that looking at different software’s and familiarizing yourself with them before introducing to a class would be highly effective.

This Article has heightened to me the importance of collaborative work within the ICT classroom and the skills that are more likely to develop as a result of this.  In relation to this, it has also pushed my attention to stretch the use of computers further than the curriculum states as children should be given the opportunity to explore more than just coding.  Furthermore the inclusion of those from all backgrounds and economic status are given the same opportunities as those who may have access to these resources at home.  While this is something I am aware of, the importance of allowing them to feel included outside of school is just as important and is something I will implement into my practice.

To sum up this article the importance of bridging social, cultural and religious divides are a key part in creating a more civilized society and through the aid of computer technology at a young age to connect children all over the world is an amazing and interesting idea to do so, however even if this is not the main aim through collaborative work there is always the added benefit too.

Cohesion Image

6 thoughts on “Supporting community cohesion through ICT: the ‘epartners’ programme in Northern Ireland Review

1. A very interesting insight in to how computing can be both socially interacting and academically beneficial. Generally speaking, there is a stigma attached to technology causing isolation, however, you have demonstrated how schools can use technology to encourage collaborative learning and engagement.

1. I Agree, the stigma that is attached to technology can cause such negative effects on the way that pupils are taught and effect their own experiences with technology its important that we support these learning in singular and collaborative environment to support these children in a technological environment and prepare them for what inevitably their future.

2. Jamie, as my secondary school did not see the benefits of using VLE, it was interesting to read how your school in Year 6 used conference calls to communicate to other children in a Japanese classroom. Also, you made a very point about the teachers being familiar with the VLE to prevent children being limited to what tools and features only the teacher knows how to do.

1. Oh no that is such a shame because its experiences like that which have shaped my opinions on the use of technology and i think we need more of these in the classroom to support our children.

Also i am glad you picked up on that point, its because of this, i think we should be more open to the different uses of technology in the classroom.

3. Jamie, it is interesting to hear you talk about the Japanese connection.I presume because it was such an interesting and engaging activity it helped to resonate as a positive learning experience, something that you will not forget. I guess this is what children need, to be engaged and enthused in a social context to aid there learning.

Another point you discuss about teachers lack of confidence is so true. I was just talking to Michael about this and how frustrating it is to see teachers not being confident with most types of computing in schools. It is understandable as not everyone has had opportunities to become secure with ICT. It is so true that teachers stick to what they know which does not excite or engage children often enough, let alone develop their learning. Where are the ICT literate schools?

1. i completely agree with you ash it is a really enthusiastic lesson that stuck with me and is something that i think children need to really get involved with their learning and get excited about it too.

however while teachers may not have the opportunity to become confident in computing the fact that this is part of everyday life then surly they should be making more of an effect to implement them in schools?