Blog Session 2

In the session today, I learnt that from the time you’re a baby up until the age of 25 you have brain spurts where your brain is still developing and you are still able to be educated. We also focused on Early Years Foundation Skills (EYFS) which is the guide provision of learning that happens from 0-5year olds. We looked at the importance of education and how play helps a child’s learning development.

We were asked last week to look at the different types of learning that takes place outside of the classroom. In today’s group discussion we were asked to look at ‘The Hive’ based in the University. As a group we discovered that many different learning skills happen there such as;

• Observation – focus on what on is going on around you, watching and listening to the TV.
  • Mathematical – Money Exchanging – Adding and Subtracting money.
  • Communication – Group discussions.
  • Auditory- Can sit there and take notes with friends.

In a child’s early years learning is the most important part from birth to 5years old as from birth they are learning their sensory skills, how to hold their heads up, their sense of taste and how to feel and hold their toys. The most common way for a child to learn and improve on their skills is through play. As it’s a way for them to have fun and improve on their learning skills.

In our lesson today, we watched a video where there were children building a car. It was nice to watch because you could see the children were using all the skills they needed to work as a team. They were being creative and thinking about the parts they need to build the car. The children were using a book to look at a picture so they had the mental image of what they need to find. They were also looking for things to use outside and inside. They were using their communication skills, constantly talking about what they need and where to put things and helping each other move everything around. One child was showing empathy as it became hot and they were outside in the sun working hard he realised that all the children needed water, hats and sun cream so by using his mathematical skills he was counting how many children were taking part in the activity so he knew the number of cups he needed for the water.

We also had a discussion where we had to find someone in our class to compare notes on what helps me learn. I realised what helps me learn a lot is having a good teacher who can support you through the subject and if you feel like you have lost motivation you can talk to and they can help motivate you to push harder at your work. I have noticed recently that coming to my lessons in a positive mindset helps me focus better and get more involved in group discussion and it also helps me focus more in lessons. It also helps if you have a good class around you that you can build a bond with and feel comfortable to talk to as it will benefit you when you get stuck with something you can ask them for their opinion which can help you use your initiative and think more outside the box when it comes to your own work.