September 29

A reflection of my experience of the Web…

As a child the web was primarily used as a search engine. A place I would go to search for answers quickly and something which was easily accessible. However, as Berners-Lee highlighted in his article, the web is a strong tool for communicating. In relation to this, there has been an increased use in educational social networking platforms where students could share and read users’ resources and comment on them. I used several sites during exam seasons that contributed to my learning journey. For example, the student room was the most commonly social learning platform I used. It enabled me to ask students doing the same subject for advice on particular topic areas, past paper model answers, helpful resources etc.

Additionally, online tutorials and learning exercises played a central role to learning. Websites such as BBC bitesize and MyMaths allowed me to consolidate and build upon the lessons which had been delivered in the classroom and online tasks were assigned onto MyMaths so teachers could assess our understanding. This was a positive learning aid as it was made interesting and engaging. Various teaching models such as videos and diagrams made the topics more fun. Both of the above reflections demonstrate formal learning experiences influenced by the web however, I also used the web to access learning in an informal manner.

For example, I used games to shape my learning. This started from a young age as I would play the CD games on my home computer. However, the development of online gaming resulted to me learning online more frequently. A personal favourite was a website called Digger and the Gang. Although it is no longer active and has been archived, it interested me due to the story line children could follow of the different characters.  The resource covered all the foundation topics and broke areas up in to age phases making the website appropriate and interactive for a specified age targeted audience. Online gaming has grown in popularity and so has been embraced by educational communities.

Posted September 29, 2016 by patela3 in category Uncategorized

2 thoughts on “A reflection of my experience of the Web…

1. claridgm

Being significantly older than you, I didn’t use half these resources when I was in school. It’s really interesting to see how much things have changed from my day and even moreso what children are exposed to from a much earlier age. How the internet works in primary school sounds like it should be beyond their grasp but it’s really not. Do you feel like your prior knowledge of these things is a huge help in understanding the task presented to primary age children?

Reply
    1. patela3 (Post author)

My personal experiences of using the internet for educational purposes has definitely contributed to understanding how children use the WWW. With so many helpful and easily accessible resources, the web has made accessing education increasingly easier and more interesting. The challenge we now face includes exposing children to various learning platforms which are not based online. It can be criticised that the development of the internet has led to children limiting their learning by not bothering to reach in to various resources such as books, museums, libraries, educational workshops etc.

Reply