My reflections prior to placement

I will be carrying out my placement in a Forest School Setting. I am feeling very excited about this placement. Prior to this placement, I have had some experience working with children in creative spaces and outdoors.

Reflecting on my own childhood , I remember that I was in my element when I was exploring exploring the outdoors. A forest school would have been an amazing experience had it been around.  Therefore I think it is a life changing opportunity for children nowadays ; Children are spending less time outdoors and the government is pushing for academia to start earlier,  a forest school is a breath of fresh air.

I have high expectations for this placement. I am excited to see children being able to express themselves through creative outdoor activities. I am excited to see how being in a different learning environment can affect children’s development , self awareness and develop their friendships with each other. I feel a Forest school is a way that children who are not as academically gifted can find a new sense of freedom in education. I am interested to discover the different roles, whether the play/learning is adult or child initiated/led. I am feeling apprehensive about how the children will respond to me being there, as I carry little knowledge/experience about the different activities being carried out.