A Political Vlog

https://roehampton.cloud.panopto.eu/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=56f5424a-64ce-4a53-80d1-ad0f00b21c37 

Transcript:

“Hey guys and welcome to my vlog. My name is Era Fili and I am currently a Roehampton University student studying Sociology. I am in my third year and today I’m going to be talking to you about why you need to be politically engaged.

Even though some laws may not directly affect you, it is most certain that it will affect someone that you know. Statistics expose the lack political engagement within the youth – the 2017 elections illustrate that 65% of 18 to 24 year olds voted. To a lot of you, the statistic may seem significant but if you look at it in a wider scale, 65% is just simply not enough.

It is understandable that a lot of you may feel discouraged to participate especially because the Government may not take us as seriously compared to older age groups. However, the 2017 election, where the youth came together, is a prime example of why you need to be politically engaged. The youths voices made a huge impact and even shocked the government as it saw the highest number of youth voting in the past 25 years.

One of the most concerning issues in regard to the political system, currently, is the increase of racial injustice. Laws in the UK have allowed police to acquire too much power and have given them the ability to Stop and Search based on their own discretion and stereotypical views.

I am now going to speak to you about two scenarios where individuals in the community were targeted by the police. The first scenario is of a man who was stopped and searched because of the way he was dressed and the car that he was driving. He was even handcuffed by the police despite complying with them.

The second situation entailed a woman and her husband who were stopped and searched and arrested for being in a fancy car and driving through a rich neighbourhood, but this is where their home was.

Can you guess what the determining factor of these stop and searches were?”

*show videos*

“Yes its race.

Both Young Adz and Bianca Williams were stopped and searched based on their appearance. Despite the fact that they are both leading figures within the black community, this didn’t act as a safety net when faced with the racial prejudice of the law. Both of the individuals were racially profiled by the police and both unjust searches were justified by the laws that the Government have imposed. These laws do no support ethnic minorities, infact they work against them. And we as a society, whether we deem ourselves part of the ethnic community or not, need to make sure that people aren’t put down.

Their own liberty and rights were stripped away from them because of their colour. The ill-judged use of stop and search powers is the reason that the community and authority figures will have hostile relationships.

This is why you need be politically engaged – to know your rights but also to change these laws that put a target on the back of ethnic minorities. I mean no one wants to have a target on their back, not me, not you, not anyone- we don’t deserve that.

In the case of Stop and Searches, the youth’s influence has forced the Government to implement a law where police officers are obligated to wear body cams whilst on duty. This is in order to promote the safety of the citizen and most importantly it’s the first step to reducing racial injustice.

Even though you may not always get the results that you hope for, or the difference that you seek to see, fighting for a political cause aids communities within society to unify and unite in order to fight against social injustice. When we’re fighting as a unity, it’s easier to progress in society because more voices equals more power for the public and this is more likely to influence the government because they just can’t ignore our requests. If more people are speaking up, then how can they ignore this?

A huge example of society coming together to fight for a cause is the Black Lives Matter movement. Despite the fact that there have been no new laws in the UK in regard to the movement, social media has encouraged and held the government responsible for the discrimination against ethnic minorities.  If your voice can hold the government accountable, then please use it.

I am finally reminding you that the country is going to be ours soon – so help make a difference now. The UK Government has inserted traditional, conservative laws that maybe in the past they were good for society, but we have now progressed and there needs to be new laws fitted in order for our society to run smoothly and according to the new generations.

The only way for us to ensure that this happens is in order for us to be politically engaged. Please educate yourselves about the things that are going on in our society, educate yourselves in matters that are important to you. Involve yourself in the next election, involve yourself in politics, involve yourself in protests and speak up and use your voice. Not just for yourself but for the people that can’t use theirs, because even the smallest change, is still a change.

Thank you for listening to my vlog guys and I really hope that you do take this as an opportunity to participate politically because it’s one of the best things and most rewarding things that you will ever do in your lives. When you see the change that you’ve been longing to see, the feeling that you’ll get is immaculate. So please guys make sure that you do engage and you do help the people that need help the most.”

😊