Visit 6

As this was the last Friday of the term, the schedule for the day was slightly different. The briefing was held by T since the deputy head was away. Today was Christmas jumper day and there was a winter fair right after nursery finishes. 

During the day, I was playing and interacting with children indoors, helping them to make paper crowns. In particular, I played with a boy who’s family I knew; I had seen him in the nursery on my previous visits, interacted with him but tried to distance myself and give all children an equal chance in regards to giving them my attention.
Today, however, I spent most of the morning with him as he had quite a distressing drop off; he only stays for half days at the nursery. He felt comfortable with me, interacting with me and seemed quite happy for me to guide him and support his play.

He mostly wanted my attention and when he was excited to show me something he would take my hand and attempt to guide me.
During group time, I usually sit with his group. During this time, he was sitting close to me as I usually sit at the back, every so often touching me which I presumed was his way of reassuring himself that I was still behind him, there to support him. During group time, the group leader/key worker suggested that I try to distance myself from him so he does not become too attached which had actually crossed my mind so when his attention drifted from the group, I diverted his attention back to the key worker and other children.

Themes: Group Time, Friendships, Relationships, Attachment Distress, Free-flow Play