Session 5

Today we are looking at skulls and different types of Fur. We were gathered around the fire place, admiring the different types of animals. All of the children seemed very intrigued as the bones were being passed around the circle. Each child got to have a look at the skulls and bones and together they were to come up with what bone related to which animal.  When choosing to discuss, the children discussed with their friends and then we talked about it as a group.

It was a good way to see the children interacting with each other as a whole group, fascinated with the bones. Everyone shared and everyone was included in the discussion.

The children went off to play. One of the girls came up to me and said that one of the boys had called her stupid, this girl had taken it personally and was upset by the comment. This is the first interaction I had seen between the boys and the girls. I then brought the boy and girl together and he apologised. We then set up a tight rope and the girl was the first to participate, whilst the boy who had called her stupid refused to do it because he was scared. You could see the girl was filled again with a sense of confidence and everyone laughed it off.

In the second session today we did the tight rope again with these children. There was a new teaching assistant today. The boys were focused on my interactions with the young teaching assistants. They made a few inappropriate comments. They also made comments about not liking the main teacher and saying they were bored. As soon as they got involved, they were laughing and joking around.