Visit 3

The morning briefing was just that – brief. A few parents called the nursery informing the deputy head that their child will not be attending nursery today which was then fed back to the practitioners at the nursery. I myself felt unwell during the week. Some staff were absent as well; the deputy head told us that one practitioner in particular had been told that she needed to urgently visit the GP. When feeding this information in the briefing, the deputy head made sure to inform all practitioners that if a child asks where the worker was, to respond sensitively by saying “hopefully ‘_____’ will be in on Monday” – I found this interesting as it did not imply a definitive response which may potentially disappoint the child when Monday came round.

The rest of the day had continued as usual, again with a particular emphasis on imaginative/pretend play, play with play-dough and puzzle play (puzzles/playing cards). I find it heart-warming when children approach me, introducing themselves, asking what my name is then initiating play.

Themes: Structure of the day, Free-flow Play, Friendships