TS 8 – Fulfil wider professional responsibilities

TS 8: Fulfil wider professional responsibilities
– Take responsibility for improving teaching through appropriate professional development, responding to advice and feedback from colleagues.

As part of our professional and subject studies learning at Roehampton, I had the experience of helping to plan a trip for a group of 30 Danish students to Southall. This encompassed ensuring the day was planned effectively, securing clear learning outcomes and anticipating any problems that may arise.

Students were introduced to a Gurdwara, whereby they learnt the importance of covering themselves during their time in this place of worship. They observed prayer, the fanning of the Guru Granth Sahib and ate food from the Langar.

Following this, there was a lengthy lecture style talk by a Sikh regarding the foundations of Sikhism. In retrospect, this was not necessarily the best use of time however, these students were respectful and appreciated the time given and knowledge acquired.

We guided students to a local Mandir where we were due to receive a talk on Hinduism. Much to our disappointment, the man was not there and we were left in the Mandir with students feeling clearly perplexed about the images and statues that surrounded them. As I had been teaching Hinduism at my six week placement school I was very familiar with the Hindu Gods, Goddesses and their stories. I stepped in and guided small groups around the Mandir explaining the stories attached to each of the statues, and how they link to festivals within Hinduism. I felt overwhelmed by the knowledge I had gained up until that point, and how much more I could learn and share with students.