TS 6 – Make accurate and productive use of assessment

TS 6: Make accurate and productive use of assessment
– Give pupils regular feedback, both orally and through accurate marking, and encourage pupils to respond to the feedback.

Using Dedicated Improvement & Reflection Time (DIRT) in lessons allows students to reflect on their own learning. Many of my students do not know how to improve their work or how to act on feedback. Many view feedback as negative immediately, so they become closed off and think they have ‘failed’. During time at my block placement school, DIRT has been:

– Spellings
– Improvements on Homework
– Extension tasks based on Homework
– Peer assessment and feedback
– Self-Reflection
– Exam Questions
– Setting Targets

Within the humanities department, 3 goals we always to ensure are being done are the following:

– Marking (WWW/EBI) in the last 3 weeks
– Updated marks on front of books
– DIRT completed within the last 4 weeks (there does not have to be DIRT on most recent piece if you have not had time however it would be nice if there was).

During both my block placement and six-week placement I have completed marking of books, tests, project work and end of year assessments. This was an opportunity to recognise the information the students retain, and the information they find it difficult to engage with. DIRT is a school policy in both my block placement and six week placement schools, so it is fundamental that it is carried out and students find it difficult to engage with these types of lessons. However, the value of a teacher marking a students book, providing clear objectives and giving positive feedback is great. I use clear WWW – What went well, EBI – Even Better If and next steps to make it explicit to students where they have achieved and worked hard, what they could work on and the next steps allows me to link to ‘expand’ and ‘stretch’ questions in their books. We have a 3 week marking policy within humanities which I have ensured I adhere to.

Year 8 marking example-2d3fh14

Year 9 marking example-19cbwtm

Year 10 Marking example 2-1siknaf

Year 10 marking example-289tfm4